Monday, April 30, 2012

Ottoman Empire


While reading the document regarding the Ottoman Empire, I found things that I found very interesting that I made comparisons to. When reading the information based on “The Classical Ottoman Administrative System,” it reminded me a lot of “The Code of Hammurabi.” The empire reached the height of its success under successor, Sultan Suleyman Kanuni. The empires administrative system was based off of his power and his set laws. The reason I compare this to The Code of Hammurabi is because of Hammurabi’s let laws in a system referred to as “Eye for an Eye.” Hammurabi had much power much like Suleyman, which let him set his own administrative justice system. The second thing that I found interesting was the power that The Ottoman Empire had. On the fourth page it reads: “In the classical Ottoman system, the sultan’s servants were slaves, many of them children taken from Christian villages in the Balkans.” The Ottoman Empire had taken over by force and forced people to form to their ways. That is what I fear when I think of an empire, due to its high form of power and the way in which it was received.

No comments:

Post a Comment